Rainbo Initiative currently have 5 Rainbo Centres around Sierra Leone. These are in Freetown, Kono, Kenema, Bo and Makeni. All Rainbo Centers are open Monday-Friday between the hours of 08:30-5:00pm.
At the Rainbo Centres we provide:
- Clinical care and medical treatment for rape and sexual assault
- Psychosocial support (PSS)
- Legal support and access to justice
- Referrals to other services
At the Centres, survivors will be seen be a counsellor and a medical staff, including a midwife. Both parties will assess the survivor and write a report on what they hear and see.
These reports are then summarized in to an Official Medical Certificate that is signed and endorsed by a RI medical doctor. If need be the RI Doctor will examine the survivor.
We have an understanding with the government that these Medical Certificates are authentic and can stand up in a court of law.
We also provide additional care at the Centres, including:
- Dignity kits (pants, sanitary pads, used clothing, slippers)
- Transport refund – for a few clients for them to be able to complete the follow up processes.
- Food – is sometimes provided to survivors, especially minors when drugs are about to be administer.
Referral to Rainbo Centres
80% of our cases are referred to Rainbo Centres by the Family Support Unit (FSU) of the Sierra Leone Police Force. Survivors are referred to the Rainbo Centers by the FSU with a Police medical form.
20% are referred to us through the community e.g. schools.
|ALL RAINBO CENTRES ARE OPEN MONDAY-FRIDAY 08:30am – 5:00pm|
|Freetown Rainbo Centre||Princess Christian Maternity Hospital
On Fourah Bay Road
|Kono Rainbo Centre||Koidu Government Hospital
|Kenema Rainbo Centre||Kenema Government Hospital
|Bo Rainbo Centre||Bo Government Hospital
|Makeni Rainbo Centre||School of Midwifery
Rainbo Initiative dream of having Rainbo Centres in all districts of Sierra Leone. If you think you or your organization could help Rainbo in achieving this dream, please contact us.